5 Easy Tips To Live A Sustainable Lifestyle
Living a sustainable lifestyle doesn't have to be hard! I needed to hear that when I first started. There was a nagging pull at my heart to do better for our environment, but also a feeling like it was yet another thing on my to-do list. With two young boys and a career, the last thing I needed was another task!
Before we get started on the easy ways you can live a sustainable lifestyle, I think you'll like the fun quiz I designed for you. The quiz will help you figure out just how high your toxic load is! You can take the quiz here:
I compiled 5 easy tips for living a sustainable lifestyle for you to relieve the pressure of that nag, without adding a lot to your plate 💖
1. Easy Sustainability Tip #1 - support local farmers: a decisions that is future-focused and strengthens resources and our communities for generations to come. Find out when your local farmer's market is and develop relationships with your community's local farmers. Buy their products and invite your friends to join you in splitting a CSA box. If the local grocery store is your only option, chose items that are grown or made as close to you as possible.
Pro Tip: Organic produce options will always trump non-organic. Not only for better health and cleaner environmental reason but it's also another area where you can vote with your dollars.
2. Easy Sustainability Tip #2 - hang your clothes to dry instead: dryers are handy, but they use a lot of energy. Opt out of the regular tumble dry and get a clothesline hung to hang your clothes instead. Looking to get more wear out of your clothes? Check out this non-toxic fabric spray.
3. Easy Sustainability Tip #3 - switch to glass: replace your everyday plastics with glass alternatives. Glass is one of the most sustainable materials on earth. It is 100% recyclable and can be re-melted endlessly without ever reducing its quality.
(Did you know - plastic also melts into food when it is heated up, and it is a huge culprit that affects our hormones)
4. Easy Sustainability Tip #4 - choose coconut oil for your beauty care: use coconut oil for hair masks, makeup removers, dry skin and so much more. No need to use single-use makeup wipes, switch to a reusable washable cloth instead. I like the organic bamboo wash clothes, they are so soft. I found this really great article explaining the benefits of using coconut oil, and how to do it HERE.
5. Easy Sustainability Tip #5 - use natural cleaners: reduce plastic waste and the chemicals you introduce into your body, your home and the environment by making your own multi-purpose cleaner using simple, yet effective and safe ingredients and essential oils. Learn four ways to start cleaning green with my blog article '4 Ways To Start Cleaning Green'.
BONUS Easy Sustainability Tip - use natural plants as perfume: perfume is a synthetic man-made chemical made in a lab that damage the ozone layer (if it does that to earth, what do you think it does to your body and immediate air quality), and are typically filled with chemicals that are harsh on your lungs. doterra - my fave company on the planet - has several scents that I use daily as a natural perfume often: Rose, Neroli, Whisper, In Tune, Bergamot + Lime, Ylang Ylang, Vetiver + Lime, or Jasmine.
Pro Tip: DM me on Instagram for a free essential oil sample.
Don't forget to take the toxicity quiz, and comment below with your fave tip from above - I am looking forward to hearing from you! 😊
Holistic Lifestyle Coach & Essential Oil Specialist
Hi, I'm Melissa 👋🏻
If you hang around me long enough I will convince you that you are worth anything your heart desires. Yes, anything!
I live on an acreage on a small island on the West Coast of Canada (Salt Spring Island) with my husband, two boys and animals.
I pump my tires on empowering women to make themselves a priority, and living an intentionally clean and natural lifestyle- I love to live sustainably and I DIY the shit out of everything.
When I was employed, I quickly learned that I hated working on other people's terms. I disliked trading my precious time to build somebody else's dream and I wanted to be the one raising my babies at home with me. The essential oil industry has allowed me to build my dream life and dream business from home.
You can find me on Instagram for daily tips for self-care, essential oil education, and lots of laughter.